The Maya used a base number of 20.
A dot stood for one, a bar stood for five, and the zero was drawn like shown in the upper figure.
- Find the Mayan equivalent of a decimal number (like 40, in the lower figure) with the applet: hit Return after writing the decimal number
- Increase or decrease the digit one by one (-1, +1) and see the resulting Mayan number
- Skip all the text in the web page, and figure out how the Maya wrote numbers.
- Check your "theory" with the help of the applet.
Hint: numbers were written from bottom to top.
Learning object available in:
Terms you need to know:
|type:||webpage plus interactive animation|
|format:||html, java, gif|
(2) Suggested age group. The learning object may be used by the Teachers with students of any age.