A simulation of what happens when a guitar string is plucked.
One may explore terms such as pitch, tone, frequency, intensity or loudness.
One may also see the response of the surrounding air.
- Hear the sound (turn on your computer sound)
- See the effect on air molecules (in "slow motion")
- Modify the initial displacement of the string
- Modify the tension of the string
Produce various sounds and analyse the effect of:
- Plucking gently or strongly on the string
- Modifying the tension of the string
You may explore the effects of changing the parameters of the pitch and intensity of the sound.
Older students may wish to explore more options as indicated in the animation web page.
Younger students may wish to complement this animation with this one: Changing sounds
Learning object available in:
Terms you need to know:
|Initial string displacement|
(2) Suggested age group. The learning object may be used by the Teachers with students of any age.